The tote bag is a creative base that can be used as a base for a variety of various projects. I know so many of you already know how to make a tote, but for those who don’t, this easy tutorial is for you. This post would also act as a jump-off point for a variety of potential artistic tutorials.
So without further ado, I’d like to teach you how to make a reversible tote bag.
- Cut 4 rectangular bits of cloth of the same size.
- Two bits are going to be the lining and the rest are going to be the shell. The scale is entirely optional. You choose how big you want your bag to be.
- Take your two shell fragments and pin them to the right on three sides. Keep one of the short sides unpinned. Do the same thing on the lining bits.
- Sew over pinned sides, leaving around 1/4″ of the seam allowance.
- Trim around the sewn edges and corners. Turn the shell inside out and flatten the seams with the iron.
- At this point, your linen fabric should always have the right side facing. Next, put your shell pocket inside the linen pocket.
- Now we’re going to step on the handle. First you’re going to break the canvas strap into two 15″ bits.
- Next you’re going to shape the handle. I lay a strap on a flat surface, hold each end and fold it towards me. This produces a U shape that’s going to rest perfectly on your shoulder.
- Carefully put the handle between the lining and the shell cloth. Pin is in place. Repeat the opposite side of the bag.
- Sew across the side of the open.
- Be sure to leave a 2-3″ gap open so that the bag can be switched out in a minute. For additional strength and toughness, stitch a few times over the handles.
- Carefully turn the bag inside out by pushing the cloth into the crack.
- Iron this new edge flat and make sure to fold the difference down. Go over to your computer and topstitch around the edge.
And that’s how to make a very easy reversible tote, my friends… Happy crafting and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram if you want to be featured on my story!